Meet The Author

Marisa Samuels has seen it all in her long lifetime, and boasts an obsidiously sharp mind some might call intimidating and wickedly humorous. Step into a world where left is north, right is deliciously wrong, up has never been so far down, and a twist always follows a turn.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Hiding Place

“Look, Martha, I’m going to buy a gun and that’s all there is to it!”

“I don’t see why you need a gun, Mac.  We don’t live in a bad neighborhood; we don’t have enemies, the police department is only a mile away.  What do you need a gun for?”

“Don’t you read the papers?  Home invasions, drive-by shootings –“

“Not in this neighborhood.  The biggest crime around here is soaping windows on Halloween.”

“Know about the SecondAmendment?  Huh?”

“Yes, I do.  It gives you the right to own a gun.  But I think it meant more like, a group, or militia, I think it was called, that you’d join and act if there were a problem.  Besides, they didn’t have the kinds of guns we have now.”

“Well, I’m getting one.  Made up my mind.  And don’t worry, I’m not going to shoot you or the dog by accident.  I’ll take a training course.”

“Well, that’s the most sensible thing you’ve said up to now.  And what about Jessie?  What if she got ahold of it?”

“Jessie is 18 months old.  How the hell is she going to get ahold of it?  I’m going to put it on the top shelf of the closet.  I’ll have to reach way up to get it, and I’m six feet.” 

“If it’s on the top shelf of the closet, how will you get it in an emergency?”

“Someone tries to break in, there’s noise.  I’ll have time.  My hearing’s as good as the dog’s.  Speaking of which, Rommel will sound the alarm.   Doberman barking his head off at the door or window oughta give any burglar second thoughts.”
 
*     *     *     *     *

It took Jessie three years to find the gun.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment